Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Another horrible time at the nail place, can this be done at home?

I posted a question not long ago about having trouble having my nails done and finding a good place to go to have them done. After careful thought I went back to my natual nails.





Anyway, I desperately needed a pedicure and felt that I would not have the other problems I had in the past with the nail people as the drill was usually the problem and they don't have to use it on my toes. So today, I went for a pedicure, everything was going ok, until the cuticle part. This woman pulled, I mean pulled, the skin from both sides of each toe to the point of severe pain and bleeding on about 3 of my toes. Some toes she had no problems but the ones she did have trouble with were awful. I know she saw the bleeding as she wiped it away before going on. I want to start doing my own at home. I have the foot tub and new nail clippers. Will someone walk me through what I need to do? Or the important things anyway? Thank you in advance.Another horrible time at the nail place, can this be done at home?
I feel your pain, I have been through the same thing and I have no idea why people consider a pedicure a ';treat';..I might just have sensitive feet I guess. This is what works for me at home'; First get some of that foot pumice they sell in the drugstore. Rub both feet, and heels with it, then soak your feet in a container of warm water and bath salts for at least 20 minutes. Then you will need one of those foot sanders, the kind that looks like a sponge but is rough like sandpaper. Use that on your heeels and callouses to soften up the dead skin. Then, they sell those foot shaver things with the handle. You can carefully use them on thick calloused areas to shave away the dead skin. Also, you will need to get some liquid cuticle remover (Sally Hansen and Avon both sell it). It looks like nail polish but it's white and milky looking like lotion. Apply the cuticle remover to all of your toenails concentrating on the cuticles (end of the toenail near the skin) and sides of the toenails. After letting the cuticle remover sit for about 4-5 minutes, you use an orangewood stick (cheap, you can find them in any drugstore, they are pointy wooden sticks) to trace the nail around the sides of the toe and the cuticle, which removes all the dead skin around the nail itself. You have to kind of scrape it off, the cuticle cream softens and loosens it. This is instead of cutting of the skin which they do at the salon (ouch)!. Finally, soak your feet again in cool water and a splash of alcohol. Remove, dry them off, apply lotion and toenail polish and you are done. Hope this helps. Most everything you need for a pedicure you can get at Sally's Beauty SUpply or the local drugstore. Good luck.Another horrible time at the nail place, can this be done at home?
I'm surprised nail salons still use the drill since it's considered illegal in most states. Here's what to do:


Remove any old polish and file toenails, if you need to cut, cut straight across.


Apply cuticle remover liberally to cuticles and soak in warm soapy water 5 to 10 minutes


Use a cuticle pusher or cuticle pumice dipped in water to remove excess cuticle


Exfoliate soles of feet with a pedicure file or pumice stone


rinse and towel dry feet, apply polish


When polish dries massage foot cream or lotion into skin


Use Solar Oil or cuticle oil and apply to cuticles to keep them from getting ragged


Apply clear coat of polish every 2-3 days


Repeat this process every two weeks
Don't go to the cheap places and just look on the internet if you are going to do it yourself
I'll make this simple. This is what I do and get so many compliments on my feet and how pretty they are.


-Take off all toenail polish.


-I use a Neutrogena Microdermabrasion set made for face or body and rub the crystallized cream all over my feet (if you don't have one, buy one, it's the greatest invention ever $29.95) Your feet will feel like a babys butt!


-this step is optional-soak feet for 15 mins in a pedicure tub


-push back cuticles with a push stick made for nails


-file down nails straight across (No clippers) This prevents ingrown nails


-and polish of choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment